Recently I was part of a business group where we were asked to describe our business using only one word. As challenging as that may sound, it was an extremely worthwhile exercise, which also raised several thought-provoking questions.
Here are some of those questions which you may want to ask yourself:
- How did you come up with your one word?
- Have you ever received a testimonial that uses your one word?
- How could you more effectively market your business emphasizing this particular word?
- Have you sought feedback from others to learn if they have a different word to describe your business?
- How well does your one word distinguish you from your competitors?
- How powerful is your one word?
- What does your one word convey to others?
- Once you hear from others, would you change your one word and if so, why?
This one-word exercise is a form of branding, which in and of itself is critical to our ongoing success. It tells us how we’re perceived by others. Therefore we want to pay close attention to this word and modify it as necessary.
In case you’re curious, the word I chose is confidence. Not only do I think this word serves me well but I’d also choose it again. In my opinion, confidence is what sells. As I often tell my clients, having knowledge and expertise is a good starting point but it’s simply not enough. We need to convey confidence in how we sound, how we act and how we look. It’s incredibly important and it’s a skill that can be learned, if we view it as valuable.
What’s your one word? Can’t wait to hear from you.