It was at the outset of 2011, January to be exact, that I was invited to be a keynote speaker for my client at a conference they planned to host in September. My reaction was: What an honor! Fast forward 7 months and I’ll be delivering this keynote on Monday; the title is the same as this post. The time has certainly flown by but I’ve made excellent use of it by jumping in right away. My reasoning was to avoid any unnecessary stress from delaying.
In the event that you are considering giving a keynote or are invited to do so, here are my top 5 tips:
1. Begin as soon as possible; everything takes longer than we expect.
2. Do your research; learn as much as you can about your target audience and their needs as well as expectations.
3. Choose a topic in which you’re well-versed and about which you’re passionate (keeping in mind that it must also have value to your audience).
4. Time yourself so there are no surprises about having too little or too much content.
5. Practice religiously until you feel and sound confident.
Let me know if you have specific questions on this topic or others.