“Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.

Those words were said by Jim Rohn.  If you’re unfamiliar with Mr. Rohn,  he was one of the most influential, motivational speakers and authors of his time.  The words in this quotation by Mr. Rohn are invaluable, especially if you’re someone who appreciates effective communication.

Too often I encounter professionals who are immersed in their content, or the 20% that is referred to in this quotation.  My job is to assist my clients in delving into the 80% of how they feel about their content.  Clearly, that’s not easy for many individuals because it is believed that the realm of 20% is safer.  In contrast, the remaining 80% is often viewed as far more risky.

Even moving toward the 80% is progress because that’s where we let our listeners see who we are and what we believe.  For many of my clients, going beyond 20% is improvement.  It happens slowly for most people but when it does, that’s the essence of effective communication.  The rest is merely superficial.

You may not believe you’re ready for the 100%.  Being willing to move past the 20% and approaching the remaining 80% is what truly counts. Your listeners want more than knowledge and you’re capable of providing that.

Public speaking is a learned skill requiring ongoing practice.   You can get there.