[Image by Markus Winkler of Pixabay]
The year was 2008 and I produced Podcast Particulars. Now that it’s been 14 years, I have decided the time is right to blog about guest podcasting. For those of you who haven’t yet created your own podcast, being a guest on another individual’s podcast is something to consider. As you do, think about the following…
Ask yourself these 21 questions:
- What is my intention (goal) in being a guest podcaster?
- Have I listened to other podcasts that this host has conducted?
- What amount of time has the podcast host allocated for my segment?
- Who is the target audience of this podcast?
- Will people be calling in with their questions?
- Have I done a dress rehearsal of this podcast to ensure all technology is working properly?
- Do I know what questions will be asked of me?
- Have I sent the podcast host potential topics or questions to ask me?
- Will there be a video component to this podcast or is it strictly auditory?
- Do I have a timer readily available to keep track of time elapsed?
- Have I considered all possible distractions and done what is necessary to eliminate them?
- Have I practiced responding out loud to questions and recording myself?
- Are my answers to questions concise or do I tend to ramble?
- Is there a particular process or approach I will use when responding to questions so that I have a beginning, middle, and end?
- What will I say when I don’t know the answer to a question I’m asked?
- Have I used vocal variety in my delivery (i.e., non-verbal language, volume, rate, intonation, duration, pausing)?
- Have I addressed the podcast host by name to personalize our interaction?
- Have I sent a thank you card to the podcast host after the podcast concludes?
- Have I asked the podcast host for the podcast recording or a sample, to use either on social media or on my website?
- Have I considered asking the podcast host for other referrals to people who may wish to have me as a podcast guest?
- Have I listened to the recording of the podcast to note what I want to replicate and what still needs improvement?
These questions will ensure you have a good head start on being a guest podcaster. For additional business communication questions please feel free to contact me at 518-664-6004 or email@example.com
Look forward to hearing from each of you soon.